Wednesday, April 29, 2020

The Nation Of Ulysses - The Primal Scream Demos


I haven't seen this posted anywhere in a long time, and this was the recording that truly turned me around on N.O.U., so I'm sharing it. I'm going to let Henry Owings, of Chunklet fame, and who shared these cuts with me, tell the tale:
NOU were in Memphis on tour with Bikini Kill in early 1992 to find that the promoter hadn’t actually promoted their show. So the band immediately took to flyering the streets of Memphis. While walking the streets and going into record stores and whatnot, they ran into Primal Scream who were in town recording an album. At their show that night at the Antenna Club, Primal Scream showed up (being 2 of the 5 paying people at the club) and then after the show, invited NOU to come to the studio to record some songs. So the next day, with a slightly irked Bikini Kill in tow, Nation of Ulysses recorded five songs on Primal Scream’s dime in nine hours.
Only in America! Only in the 90s! What a bat shit story. Setting aside the fact that someone totally flaked on promoting a Nation of Ulysses/Bikini Kill show, how the fuck do you randomly recognize a random Glaswegian alternative band and soon-to-be authors of Screamdelica in the street? Serendipity is a thing, y'all.

Henry says his copy only had four songs on it, and I have yet to see what the fifth song was anywhere, so let's just enjoy four cuts that would later appear on Plays Pretty For Baby. And now I'm sad I never got to see them. :(


No comments:

Read This One

Post #400: Double Dagger - Ragged Rubble

It took from May to August 2000 to go from 100 to 200 posts. Then I hit 300 posts two days before Christmas 2000. And now I'm here, anot...

People Liked These