Thursday, April 16, 2020

various artists - Our Band Could Be Your Life

I think a lot lately about musical mini trends that have been lost to time.

Can you do a tribute comp in 2020? I mean, sure, you COULD theoretically put one out. But who'd care, much less buy enough copies to break even? I feel like the tribute comp went out around the time that Fearless put out their tenth Punk Goes! release. Although, as I writing this, I'm remembering that Guilt By Association comp that had Petra Haden doing Journey, Superchunk doing Destiny's Child, etc. That was good stuff that a year or two later probably would have been an MP3-only website release for someone like Merge or some publicist firm. But I digress.

I remember being SUPER stoked on this when I snagged a copy in 1996. "Oooh, Jawbox! Oooh, Tsunami and Unwound and Kaia and Treepeople! Doing Minutemen songs! Oooh!" And app. 25 years later, it still holds up. I hate to describe this as a novelty, because releases (the indie rock tribute to [Band X]) like this were numerous throughout the 90s and early aughts. But seeing it in the flesh (aluminum?) feels weird, even if it sounds so good. The most pleasant surprise for me was re-hearing Seam's version of "This Ain't No Picnic". I have a real yen to revisit their Touch & Go catalog now.









"Our Band Could Be Your Life: A Tribute to D Boon and the Minutemen"
ripped at 192kbps from the 1994 CD release on Little Brother Records
(DL)

No comments:

Read This One

Post #400: Double Dagger - Ragged Rubble

It took from May to August 2000 to go from 100 to 200 posts. Then I hit 300 posts two days before Christmas 2000. And now I'm here, anot...

People Liked These