Friday, September 4, 2020

What we're buying this Bandcamp Friday


I'm not going to say that Bandcamp Friday stands in opposition to Record Store Day, but I will say that I enjoy the former much more than the latter. I like that more of my purchase is going to the band, and that it pushes me to pick up more new music, instead of a reissue, or something I already own on digital or CD. It's pretty rad that, since starting this in March, it's generated over $75 million dollars (!!!) for independent bands and labels. That shows real support for a scene that's hurting bad from a pandemic-induced shutdown. So here's what I'm planning on picking up today.


I'm a big fan of the former bands of each member of Truth Cult: Joe Biden, Post Pink, Protester, Pure Disgust...these are the sounds of DC & Baltimore from the last ten years. I've held off on picking up their demo tape from 2018 for a while. But now that Truth Cult has a new LP, "Off Fire", that came out in May on Pop Wig, the time is right to snag both records. "Off Fire" has a great vibe to it. It's hardcore with a snotty edge to it, very danceable, just fun.


I picked up last year's demo from Portland's All Hits in July, and I really liked their speedy, post punk. It's super primitive, reminding me a lot of Chainsaw-era Sleater-Kinney, but with shouty, Oi!-style choruses. Anything that's that floor tom heavy is going to get me hyped. Iron Lung put out their first full-length, "Men and Their Work", in June, and no less than Rough Trade named it their record of the week. If you can find the vinyl, snag it; it was limited to 500 pieces, and it's been pretty tough to track down.


I would have never guessed that Downcast would have put out a new record in 2020, or that Ebullition Records would have a hand in releasing it. Their 1991 self-titled record was the first record on Ebullition I ever picked up, and it's held an honored place in my collection ever since. "Tell Me I'm Alive" came out via 31G and Ebullition back in February, and it's time I moved from the occasional stream to buying a copy. They've held their political edge, a trait I'm thrilled to hear is strong as ever.


Sticking with Ebullition releases for a minute: they also released the first record from Portland's Visions. This self-titled 12" features 3/4 of Dead Cult and Sara from Vicious Pleasures on vocals; what I've heard reminds me of a gothier Terrible Feelings. I've found myself being increasingly drawn to deathrock and other goth-influenced punk in recent years; blame a band like Arctic Flowers, who I really got into, or finding cheap Gun Club records in the wild.


I had meant to grab the newest Concrete City single during last month's Bandcamp Friday, but I forgot to add it to my wishlist, so I overlooked it. "Smash the Old World & Pink Shirt" is their SEVENTH digital release in 14 months, and they remain not only prolific, but probably the best rock band in Baltimore right now. This is their second pandemic-era release, along with a live on WTMD session from 2019, and the quality shows zero fall-off. This is top notch power pop from folks who have playing longer than some of us have been alive. Now if only we can get a bit of physical media out of these kids.


Philadelphia's Soul Glo's 2019 record, "The N***a In Me Is Me", hit me like a ton of bricks. It's what I had always heard Death Grips described as, but never actually experienced. Their fusion of hardcore, hip hop, noise, breakbeat, and lo-fi is unlike a lot of what I've found in recent years, and made me wish I lived back on the East Coast so I could see these dudes with some great regularity. I've had their "Live at WKDU" session on my wishlist longer than anything else. I think it's time to pony up and see how their incredible sound translates to a live in the studio recording.


Arizona's King of the Monsters was always a label to watch for me. They put out heavy music, had an awesome design aesthetic, and they were always priced inexpensively. That's 3 for 3, in case you're counting. They put out a discography for grind/crust masters Unruh about 5 years ago, and it's apparently been uploaded to Bandcamp this week. I knew about Unruh via their split with Creation is Crucifixion and their appearance on "Cry Now, Cry Later Vol. 1 & 2" reissue. When I listened to them, I wanted to grow out dreads and headbang. "Tomb" everything Unruh ever put out, and, at $12.50, is a lot cheaper than trying to track everything down. Hell for $25, you can get the box set itself. That's a good price!

There's obviously a ton to find on Bandcamp, and the digging can be the best part. I'm certain, as with previous Bandcamp Fridays, that there'll be some cool, limited edition releases posted up, so be sure to take a look.

1 comment:

jonder said...

I share your sentiments: Bandcamp Friday > RSD. I picked up Tropical Fuck Storm, Crack Cloud, Vincas, and a killer Future Of The Left live recording. My kids dig Death Grips, so I will have to tell them about Soul Glo!

Read This One

Post #400: Double Dagger - Ragged Rubble

It took from May to August 2000 to go from 100 to 200 posts. Then I hit 300 posts two days before Christmas 2000. And now I'm here, anot...

People Liked These