Friday, October 2, 2020

Another Bandcamp Friday, another $100 in music

Tim, Mike, and Lee from Concrete City (from Facebook)

I swear to the maker I didn't plan on dropping much money on Bandcamp Friday this month. Sure, I had things on my wishlist I planned on picking up. But I figured my big purchase would actually be the three tapes I ordered last night from Sorry State Records (more on that later). Instead, I get announcements of two records I've been waiting for from Bitter Lake Recordings. Thanks, Adam. You've totally fucked me with your exquisite reissues.

I learned about Bitter Lake due to their reissue of the Grave New World LP, "The Last Sanctuary" earlier this year. I've spent a fair amount of the pandemic diving into the underworld of Japanese hardcore/crust/industrial/punk, and when I learned that Grave New World was what Crow did after he split up his eponymous project. I was really stoked on the MP3s I heard, and happily plunked down the bread on a record/t-shirt combo. Sadly, that order is hiding out in a USPS COVID hole, a casualty of Herr Trump's attack on mail-in voting. But it didn't keep me from ordering the following tonight.


I've read Kyoufu Shinbun (恐怖新聞) described as Japanese crust channeled through early 80s J.G. Thirwell. That sounded pretty alright by me. The vocals are super dubby and distorted, like U-Roy fronting Nine Inch Nails. If I'd been introduced to this when it initially came out in 1993 and 1994, I probably would have shit my pants; it makes Ministry sound like Boston. Bitter Lake has collected the entire output of keyboardist/sampler/vocalist Proletariat Honma on this 3 x LP box set, entitled "Death Training". It's a total of ten tapes and a flexi 7", all intially released on Honma's Integral Label label. If you're into synth-punk, industrial, or noise, this is probably right in your wheelhouse.


I wasn't expecting a second announcement from Bitter Lake, but I couldn't pass up a chance to pre-order the Pipyu LP + 7". Pipyu (ピッピュ) was an ultra-obscure band from Tokyo, circa 1985-87. They made a demo, a split 7", and appeared on a few Japanese comps before more or less disappearing. I'm struggling what to liken this to. Can you make D-beat with a drum machine? Can you make deathrock without direct exposure to the American West? What I do know is I like this...a lot. It's a remarkable mix of new wave and hardcore and noise; there's no way I could sleep on this.


Concrete City gets it: 1) release a new single every other month on Bandcamp Friday, and 2) profit. Their fourth single of 2020 has another great pair of sing-alongs in "Don't Do It, Man" and "Same Things". I've been meaning to put together a playlist of all the songs they've recorded and released this year to see how they fit together as a larger body. Individually, though, they've been spectacular. Some wise soul is going to collect everything of Concrete City's, release a physical copy and make a million thousand spacebux.


I like to take a wag on something new every Bandcamp Friday, and this month it's the new single from Richmond's Haircut. Their new 7", "Cake", came out in August on hometown label 11 PM Records, and is a full-blown ripper. Featuring ex-members of Charlottesville's Animal Planet (a band I dug during their short existence), this is the kind of short/fast/loud burner that's revved my engine since the 90s. The difference maker is Juliana Viana on vocals. Her delivery reminds me a lot of Henry Rollins in State of Alert. It's hearing something like this that makes me wish I still lived on the East Coast...and, you know, there wasn't a pandemic on.


Silent Era's newest record, "Rotate the Mirror", was a last minute preorder during the last Bandcamp Friday, but I think it's appropriate to add it here. I was familiar with the bands the members had been in (Neon Piss, Deskonocidos, the Slits), but hadn't checked out Silent Era before snagging this. This is a pretty awesome mix of SF-style hardcore and the New Wave of British Heavy Metal, with wonderfully sung vocals. I'm hearing more bands reference that metal scene in non-metal music, and I think it melds well.


I normally wouldn't tack this on, but I read it around 11:45pm on Thursday, so I'm adding it to Bandcamp Friday. If you're not signed up for it yet, head on over to Sorry State's website and sign up for their newsletter. It's like getting a zine's worth of reviews and recommendations on what's new and good in the punk/hardcore/indie/metal scenes. Sorry State carries damned near everything worth carrying, and their mailorder is top notch. For example, I learned Thursday that Usman at Sorry State had tracked down copies of the Anti Cimex "Live!" reissue. Originally released in the mid-80s as a limited Swedish cassette, this has been newly reissued by Charlie from Anti Cimex and Gianluca of the UK's Godzilla Records. It looks like Sorry State might be the only place in the States to get copies. I managed to nab one, along with the new demo from Artificial Joy and Krigshoder's "Krig I Hodet" cassette. These sort of releases are rarely in stock for long, but I keep going back because, even if what I initially was there for is out of stock, I still regularly find good records for a fair price. And isn't that what record stores should be about?

No comments:

Read This One

Post #400: Double Dagger - Ragged Rubble

It took from May to August 2000 to go from 100 to 200 posts. Then I hit 300 posts two days before Christmas 2000. And now I'm here, anot...

People Liked These