Friday, March 5, 2021

Adulkt Life - Book Of Curses


I've had terrible luck with computers and the like lately. As noted earlier, I misplaced my HDD, holding the widest part of my collection, and have yet to turn it up. The battery in my MacBook Pro recently gave up the ghost; it was a real trooper, having lasted almost 7 years. Finally, what I had prepped on the servers to share didn't exactly raise my blood pressure. I think I've used the expression before, but I couldn't be arsed to kick out a few hundred words on much of anything. Having a computer go dead and staying busy at work all combined to give me a perfectly cromulent excuse NOT to hunker down.

It's the first Friday in March, though, and so it is that Bandcamp Friday has come to pass. Has it been a year of these yet? It's truly a great excuse/time to support an independent artist. So it is that I come to insist you check out Adulkt Life, a very very sexy band of grown-ass punks from London town who I'd give my eye teeth to see and shake asses in person to once this pandemic ends.

Adulkt Life is fronted by Chris from Huggy Bear, and includes John and Kevin from Male Bonding, along with newcomer Sonny. They jumped up last year with a trio of PDF zines ahead of their first release, an LP released by What's Your Rupture? Sonically, you can hear the members' previous bands, along with a healthy dose of British riot grrrl and post-punk, as well as Chris Thomson-style vocal madness. The first song on "Book Of Curses", "Country Life", musically takes me back to "The Birth Of The Ulysses Aesthetic", all skronky saxophone and hip shaking. Hell, I'd go so far as to call out some musical cues that bring Sonic Youth's "Goo"-era to mind. All of it adds up to a record that's pretty close to the kind of music I'd like to make myself.

Tl;dr? I think you ought to spend a few shekels on "Book Of Curses" this Bandcamp Friday. It'll put ardor in your larder, the dowser in your trousers, take you back to those days of mixtapes and barrettes in the mid 90s. It's a 10-song refreshing dose of the Before Time, and I'm kind of ashamed I forgot to add it to my Best of 2020.


No comments:

Read This One

Post #400: Double Dagger - Ragged Rubble

It took from May to August 2000 to go from 100 to 200 posts. Then I hit 300 posts two days before Christmas 2000. And now I'm here, anot...

People Liked These