Thursday, October 3, 2024

various artists - Rap-A-Lot Greatest Hits

This comp doesn't fuck around.

When it says "Greatest Hits" on the cover, it's not telling any lies. It's Houston hip-hop history, writ large, leading off with their first sons, Geto Boys. All the heavy hitters are here: UGK, Scarface, Juvenile, 5th Ward Boyz, Z-Ro. Every single cut present shows how crucial RAL was in showcasing hip-hop outside the industry strongholds of NYC & LA in the 80s and 90s. It's weird to me to see that Rap-A-Lot hasn't put out new music in nearly a decade; they were omnipresent throughout the establishment and growth of my musical taste. When you encounter that sort of tastemaker, you just kind of assume they're always going to be there, tipping you off to something new and incredible.

It's also hard to believe that I picked this up for a buck after it'd been sitting on the shelf in one of my regular haunts for a few weeks. I was glad to give it a new home.

Click here to downlaod.

No comments:

Read This One

Post #400: Double Dagger - Ragged Rubble

It took from May to August 2000 to go from 100 to 200 posts. Then I hit 300 posts two days before Christmas 2000. And now I'm here, anot...

People Liked These