Saturday, August 22, 2026

John Barry - The EMI Years Volume One (1957-1960)

It's pretty daunting to write about John Barry in light of his contributions to popular music, especially for a spud such as I. Far better writers have covered just about everything worth covering about the British composer/arranger, and all I can contribute is sharing this first volume of his pre-scoring work.

What appears here is Barry's rock 'n' roll and theme work, reflecting the earliest years of British rock. You can hear the last moments of light music in the first recordings of the John Barry Seven, how England first reacted to the likes of Duane Eddy in the JBS's cover of "Rebel Rouser", and Barry's first film theme work from "Beat Girl" and "Never Let Go", a pair of 1960 films featuring teen idol Adam Faith.

"Is it good, dude?" you might ask. Well, this isn't get the spins from me that the second and third volumes will. But there's parts contained herein that are definitely worth revisiting, which is exactly what I'd expect from a legendary composer like Barry.

Click here to download.

No comments:

Read This One

Post #400: Double Dagger - Ragged Rubble

It took from May to August 2000 to go from 100 to 200 posts. Then I hit 300 posts two days before Christmas 2000. And now I'm here, anot...

People Liked These