Wednesday, May 4, 2022

TheDeathSet - Artificially Sweetened

Both the МИШКА Bandcamp and Discogs peg the release date for this mashup set as November 2010, so far be it for me to argue in favor of an earlier release, at least in terms of year or season. But I swear ta Gawd that this came out whilst still in my first marriage, when I lived out in the suburbs and hadn't a fucking clue how to balance work, relationship, and leisure. And thus I did not get to see TheDeathSet in their formative years, when they moved from Australia to Baltimore and mingled with folks who I'd been booking just a few short years before. I was clueless, other than knowing some Aussies were lighting it up downtown whilst I first managed a GameStop, then started buying bobbleheads for a distributor.

So my memories of downloading this mingle with that time on ennui, first riding strong, then fading into a new brightness that came with divorce and a move back into the city. I'd never been much for the whole mashup scene, but this just felt like a really well curated DJ set, which is what I assume it was intended to be all along. Anyone wild enough to mix Bad Brains with Cee-Lo Green, to mix the Ramones and Roni Size...welp, that's got my vote for bop of the moment. It was a very good soundtrack for the first time I'd felt really alive in a while. I'm having another one of those moments right now, where I can feel the wave starting to build, that this could be, as one Craig Finn once described it, "a constructive summer".

Should I find some shekels to restart the old cassette label in the next year, I think I'm going to bootleg this one, so it has a physical version out there in the world. Until then...



Click here to download.


1 comment:

jonder said...

Oh wow, that tracklist is nuts. I only knew of the Death Set track that put a Bill Hicks monologue to a good ol' Devo tune, but now I see that was just the tip of the iceberg...

Read This One

Post #400: Double Dagger - Ragged Rubble

It took from May to August 2000 to go from 100 to 200 posts. Then I hit 300 posts two days before Christmas 2000. And now I'm here, anot...

People Liked These