The timing of this posting is apt, because for 10 years of my life, I would spend this specific week in San Diego, working Nerd Prom. They may call it San Diego ComicCon, the official name might be ComicCon International, but, for a decade, I would fly in from the East Coast to meet with vendors and licensors, talk toys, and dream of sneaking out to the Casbah for a few hours while the rest of the city focused on superheroes. They were heady days, full of far too much drinking, far too little sleep, occasional brushes with A-listers and D-listers, and very mild weather. I always thought it would be a nice place to live if I weren't already embedded in Baltimore, then Atlanta, then Seattle.
I snagged this one as part of a larger Discogs order last year, a dollar CD featuring the Black Heart Procession, the Dropscience, and Kill Me Tomorrow. Like so many other scene surveys, the results can be hit or miss. I'm always going to give No Knife a spin, and the Champagne Kiss track was a very pleasant surprise upon first listen. This mostly reminds me of my years of an upperclassman in college, booking shows in between student films and term papers. I see a name like Goodbye Blue Monday and it immediately triggers a memory of an email from a booking agent, looking for a mid-week opening on a bill. The memory, like this comp, is not unpleasant.

No comments:
Post a Comment