This one's in honor of the record-slinging, mixtape-making hydra over at Jonkyblog, who are a daily visit for me, and have recently kicked out a pair of killer tributes to tribute records. They've been lauding tributes as long as they've been around, but, oddly enough, today's share didn't have a track represented in the last couple of blogs. It's been in my on-deck circle for close to a year, and, clearly, the blog gods have deemed it a good time to post up.
This serves as a snapshot of the last days before emo broke out into the mainstream or, as I like to remember it, 1999. Weezer was in between "Pinkerton" and "The Green Album", Far was breaking up, Eve 6 was breaking out, and Sense Field was recording their first record for Warner Bros. The Get Up Kids were negotiating with Mojo, who had made a mint off of Reel Big Fish and were about to give Weston a platform. Samiam, Nada Surf, and Superdrag had all had their moments, and would all be dropped before they released another record. It was a heady time to put out a Pixies tribute, whose BBC recordings had come out the year before, but were still half a decade away from reuniting. Yet Glue Factory, who'd put out a well-received Operation Ivy tribute and a killer emo comp in "Songs For The Brokenhearted", saw the future well enough to put this together. And I'll be damned if it doesn't still sound pretty good.
Big Wheel Recreation and Doghouse Records teamed up to release this on vinyl. Discogs says that this had multiple vinyl pressings, but I'll be damned if I've ever seen one in the wild. And that's weird to me, since I bought almost everything that came out on BWR and Doghouse in the late 90s/early aughts.

No comments:
Post a Comment