Monday, October 5, 2026

various artists - Action! 15 Cult Movie Classics (Mojo Presents A Bespoke Collection Of Big Screen Nuggets)

Here's a bulleted list why "Action!" is my Mojo Monday pick this week:

  • I just posted three John Barry compilations, and while I've never seen "Beat Girl", I've heard Barry's theme a lot over the past three months.
  • "Superfly" and "Across 110th Street" were very early purchases on VHS when I started collecting movies. Where other friends were rabid fans of horror, I was drawn to other forms of exploitation cinema. Blaxploitation, whether it was the two movies above, "Shaft", "Coffy", or countless others, was a perfect blend of music, image, and culture.
  • "The Adventures of Ozzie And Harriett" was in the ether of my childhood homes. I feel like it was a reason why I was allowed to watch Nick At Nite. And after Ricky Nelson died in 1985, it felt like time stood still anytime "Lonesome Town" came on the radio.
  • I've been listening to Arthur Russell a lot lately, to the point where I've been using "A Little Lost" as my wake-up alarm song. I just remembered that there's a copy of his biography sitting in reserve at my local bookstore; I should probably snag that this week with the cash I have in my pocket.
  • Clinic and Broadcast are two English neo-psych/indie bands whose catalogs I've never deeply explored, but whose songs, when I encounter them on a sampler or comp, I've always enjoyed.
  • Ennio Morricone. Music from "My Name Is Nobody".
  • It may come as a mild surprise, but I've still never seen "Searching For Sugar Man".

That's enough reasons. This is a good 'un, front to back.

Click here to download.

No comments:

Read This One

Post #400: Double Dagger - Ragged Rubble

It took from May to August 2000 to go from 100 to 200 posts. Then I hit 300 posts two days before Christmas 2000. And now I'm here, anot...

People Liked These